Nature’s Academy would like to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday season! This time of year makes it easy to focus on decorating our homes, finding perfect gifts for friends and attending holiday gatherings. However, the holiday season is meant to provide the opportunity for people to share time with their loved ones and to create many memories that will last a lifetime. Remember to recognize the fortunate things in life and to never take for granted all that we have.
What better time than during the holidays to make new resolutions that aid in the health of our natural world? According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, American citizens throw away approximately 25 percent more trash during the holiday season than during any other time of the year. This devastating statistic needs to change. The more individuals who participate in resource-saving activities will result in better health for the people and animals around us. If you’re interested in incorporating some of these ideas into your holiday celebrations, below is a list of suggestions.
Ways to be “Green” this holiday season:
- Use LED lights – 80% less energy and lasts 10 times longer
- Unplug Christmas tree lights at night – save energy whenever possible
- Send electronic cards – saves paper and lessens carbon footprints
- Shop online to save gas and ship directly to recipients
- Give eco-friendly gifts – homemade gifts or donations to deserving groups
- Use eco-friendly gift wrapping – make your own or recycle
- Make natural decorations – pine cones, holly, seashells, etc
- Recycle your Christmas tree or other natural decorations
- Reduce holiday travel – carpool or limit gas use as much as possible
- After the holidays, look for ways to recycle your tree